New to the bookshelf: March 2020

Sunday 15 March 2020

I'm just going to say it: I have an unhealthy addiction to buying books. I just can't help myself. Although, in an unexpected turn of events, I've actually been quite disciplined this month (yes, we're only halfway through but still... small steps, aye?) and only have three titles to show you. 

I'm sensing a little book club coming along here, do you?




Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

Admittedly, I'm not usually one for a classic. I often find them difficult to get into, quiet and generally not my cup of tea. But, after borrowing Rebecca from a friend, I instantly fell in love so I decided to take the plunge and pick up my own copy (I know I'll 100 % be re-reading) plus... the cover is stunning

What's it about? Rebecca is a 1938 gothic novel that depicts the tale of an unnamed young woman who, while on a trip to the south of France, falls in love and marries a wealthy widower, only to discover that she doesn't really know the man she has married at all - his residence haunted by the memory of his late first wife, Rebecca. 

Just Kids by Patti Smith

I've heard amazing things about Just Kids. Admittedly, I'm not overly familiar with Patti's music, but I am aware she had a huge presence in the New York City punk-rock scene throughout the 70s.  What attracted me to this memoir was pretty much all of the praise it has been showered in. So of course, it was hard to resist seeing for myself. 

What's it about? Published in 2010, singer, songwriter and poet, Patti Smith has curated a memoir described as a "prelude to fame", a "profound portrait" of 2 young artists - Patti herself and Robert Mapplethorpe. Just Kids serves as a portrait of 1970s New York City - those who made it and those who remain mere ghosts of the past. 



Before the coffee gets cold by Toshikazu Kawaguchi

I'm kind of cheating with this one... I bought this quite a few weeks back but have failed to mention it on here so thought I'd include it in this post. All-in-all, I've heard very mixed opinions about Before the coffee gets cold since it began popping in all corners of the internet, so I'm interested to see how I'll find it.

What's it about? Japenese bestseller, Before the coffee gets cold, tells the tale of a back alley café in Tokyo that has been serving freshly brewed coffee for over a century. Although this café offers its guests more than just a hot beverage - the shop offers its customers the ability to travel back in time. They must not leave the café, they have to sit in a specific seat, and finally, they must return to the present before the coffee gets cold. 

And that's a wrap! Thanks so much for reading. I'd love to know what you guys have been/currently are reading throughout March and of course, any (spoiler-free) thoughts on any of the titles I've mentioned. 

- Chloe 



Post a Comment