My autumn reading guide: read along with me!

Saturday 22 September 2018


Reading is definitely my favourite past time (along with binge-watching tv shows at a ridiculously fast pace).  I find that it reduces my stress and helps me relax- especially towards bedtime (you can actually read an entire post I wrote all about the benefits of reading here). For most, autumn is prime time for reading; cosy nights in, hot chocolate and relaxing evenings. Sadly, during term time at uni, I don't have as much time to read because my mind tends to be focused elsewhere making it difficult for me to concentrate but, I'm hoping that creating a 'to read' list and making it public means I can be held accountable which should *hopefully* force me to continue to read regularly. Plus, anyone that wants to can read along with me...kind of like a little book club!

So, I've selected five books I really want to read between now and late November- hope you enjoy!



1. Mirror, Mirror by Cara Delevingne: I picked this up at the airport in Malta while waiting around because my flight was delayed for eight hours *yay*. What drew me in wasn't the author, (good on her though) but the mystery surrounding the plot and of course, the pretty little liars vibe I got from it...definitely my guilty pleasure. The story follows a group of misfits who, when one of them is pulled unconscious out of a river (dubbed as a suicide attempt by the police) and left fighting for her life, embark on uncovering the truth. Let's just say, I'm very intrigued to find out more!

2. Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige: I have seen this series all over booktube and various blogs over the last year.  It's essentially a series based in the world of The Wizard of Oz , but Dorothy has let the power get to her head and is now the bad guy and the wicked witches are the good guys. Amy Gumm, known as the 'other girl from Kansas' is recruited for a mission by the 'Revolutionary Order of the Wicked' to removed the Tin Man's heart, take the scarecrow's brain, steal the Lion's courage and most importantly, kill Dorothy. How can you not want to read?




3.  History Is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera: Having already read and loved Silvera's other novel 'They both Die At The End', I thought the logical step would be to read his most popular novel, History Is All You Left Me. It has been massively spoken about within the book community and I'm excited to get started on it. This book, much like Silvera's other novel, also has death as a key theme so I'm sure  I'll shed a tear or two while reading this!

4.  Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury: My Dad was actually the one who bought, and recommended this book to me so it's been on my reading list for a while now. Fahrenheit 451 is a piece of dystopian literature (one of my favourite genres alongside YA) and I believe is now being made into a feature-length film. The story is based in a bleak world where television rules, books are illegal and firefighters are employed to burn them. This will be an insightful and gripping read I'm sure.

5. Turtles All The Way Down by John Green: I think John Green novels are extremely overrated. There, I said it. But something about this one and the praise it's received drew me in and made me want to read it. Also, it doesn't sound overly romancey like most of John Green's novels tend to be. I'm definitely a little apprehensive but I'm hoping that giving into the hype this time will pay off and that I'll really enjoy it!

Post a Comment